Laughter is declared as the universal language of love and bonding. It holds significance in everybody’s lives because it has the power to transform a negative situation into a positive one. Given the ongoing global pandemic caused by COVID-19, International Laughing Day has become essential to unite health, happiness, and peace in one package. It is also widely recognized that happiness creates positive change around us; positivity has the potential to transform many lives and foster a sense of universal well-being
When is World Laughter Day 2024?
Every first Sunday of May is celebrated as World Laughter Day. This year, the date for celebrating Laughter Day is May 5th. The day aims to raise universal awareness about laughter and the myriad healing benefits it offers. Laughter is commonly associated with beautiful terms such as positivity, humor, life, happiness, and emotional well-being.
The mental connection between our mental well-being and emotional responses is often recorded as a state of joy. Various laughter techniques are associated with generating a sense of well-being and promoting overall health and wellness.
Why is World Laughter Day celebrated?
The very first celebration can be traced back to the year 1998. On May 10th, 1998 when Dr. Mohan Kataria celebrated the first ever World Laughter Day in Mumbai, India. He was the founding member of the novel worldwide laughter yoga movement.
He was an eminent and popular family doctor in the suburbs of Mumbai and was practicing professional facial feedback hypothesis as part of his work routine. He researched for many years and postulated that the variations in facial expressions directly impacted human emotions, and that’s how laughter and well being can be regulated.
World Laughter Day 2024 Theme
The theme for World Laughter Day 2024 is yet to be decided. If we were to follow Charlie Chaplin’s famous words, ‘A day without laughter is a day wasted.’ When World Laughter Day was celebrated outside the Indian subcontinent, it was themed the ‘HAPPY-DEMIC,’ leading to widespread celebrations in Germany.
A massive crowd of more than ten thousand people gathered at the Town Hall Square in Copenhagen. Today, more than 70 countries participate in celebrations worldwide. Here are some of the famous past year themes for your reference:
- “When in worry, laugh it away” was the theme for the year 2023.
- The year 2019 kept the celebrations eventful with its perfect theme – “Let’s laugh!”
- In 2018, the theme called for a lively celebration titled “World peace through laughter”
World Laughter Day 2024 Celebrations
There are plenty of wonderful ways in which we can take part and celebrate World Laughter Day. Some of the activities are listed below:
- We can join local laughter clubs in our communities and encourage our friends and well-wishers to enroll as well. Additionally, we can exchange light notes and laughter tidbits with people we meet, as making someone laugh and lifting their spirits can have a profound and lasting impact.
- Participating in online laughter discussions and clubs, joining celebrations over Zoom or Skype, and practicing Laughter Yoga are excellent ways to alleviate mental stress and tension, promoting a sense of well-being. Inner peace can be achieved not only through strenuous yogic exercises but also through regular laughter and the spread of joy.
- Consider inviting stand-up comedians to your neighborhood and organizing a comedy night for residents to enjoy light-hearted moments. Showcase your humor skills on social media by posting jokes, messages, and memes, including trending hashtags.
- To involve schools and colleges, arrange essay and speech writing contests with creative themes like “the child with the loudest laugh” or “the student with the best sense of humor.” Additionally, make it a daily habit to share at least one joke with your family.
- For working professionals, consider teaching stress relief activities to help them better cope with everyday challenges.
- By incorporating these ideas, we can collectively contribute to creating a more joyful and stress-free environment
World Laughter Day 2024 Quotes
Some of the liveliest World Laughter Day quotes are listed below:
- “Laughter releases endorphins and heals the soul without a grin.”
- “Our spiritual doors open only when we absorb the qualities of happiness and joy from within”
- “A chuckle is infectious, it spreads instant joy and ripples happiness waves everywhere around”.
- “The greatest possession of humanity is not wealth; it is indeed happiness and health”.
- “Laughter cuts down the doctor’s bill and is the perfect prescription for sound health and well being”.
World Laughter Day 2024 Significance
World Laughter Day spreads the message of happiness and joy, making people more aware of the health benefits of laughter and the importance of leading a positive life. Various organizations conduct laughter yoga sessions on this day to exercise facial muscles, boosting our immune system by releasing abundant happy hormones.
The messages we receive on this day can have a lasting impact on our well-being, especially if practiced daily. World Laughter Day emphasizes the need to build a world based on values such as love, compassion, forgiveness, and kindness. Additionally, laughter is known to burn calories, aiding those looking to reduce their weight.
In a world where many individuals battle depression and mental illnesses, some seek treatment, while others may feel inhibited from openly discussing their problems. World Laughter Day serves as a doorway for such individuals, providing them with an opportunity to open up their minds and express their suppressed emotions. It becomes a channel for them to voice their feelings
Benefits of Laughing
Laughter is often hailed as the best medicine in the world. It reduces the expression of immunosuppressant hormones, allowing happy hormones to thrive. The release of endorphins promotes immunity within our bodies. Laughter is among the most natural forms of exercise we can practice daily, and it’s interesting to note that continuous laughter for an hour can lead to burning up to 40 calories.
Moreover, laughter is associated with a reduced risk of developing brain tumors and various forms of cancer. It helps maintain blood pressure and enhances memory power. Spreading laughter not only improves an individual’s longevity but also contributes to a positive social existence, fostering overall mental well-being