The Teach for India fellowship offers a golden opportunity to young citizens with an inner zeal to teach children from underprivileged communities and study in schools that do not support the basic amenities of education. The entire fellowship program aims at bringing about a sea change in our education system.
Fellows (popularly called Cohorts) get an opportunity to understand the reality of education in the country and assimilate information on improving the system from scratch. The larger frame helps build a much better collaboration of interactions between the education system, the parents, teachers, and heads of institutions.
Important Note: Interested candidates are advised to check the Teach for India Fellowship 2024 date on the official website.
|Teach for India
|Teach for India Fellowship
|Up to INR 20,412 per month, Housing Allowance- up to INR 10,000
|Minimum Bachelors Degree
Eligibility for Teach for India Fellowship 2024
The following are the eligibility conditions to be fulfilled while applying to the fellowship program:
- Candidates should have completed a Bachelor’s degree program.
- The degree should be attained from a recognized university only.
- All assimilative course-related work and the degree should be completed before applying to this fellowship.
- Indian citizens can apply.
- Foreigners who have Indian roots or origins can apply, too.
- Candidates must be excellent and fluent in the English language.
- There is no age limit whatsoever to apply to this program.
- Candidates must demonstrate exceptional leadership skills and possess critical and analytical thinking and problem-solving traits.
Teach for India Fellowship 2024 – How to Apply?
A step-by-step guide to the application procedure is given below.
- Online application forms in the stipulated timeline shall be available on teachforindia.org. Search for the “APPLY NOW” button and click on it.
- The application procedure is divided into a total of SIX different steps. Each step contains different sets of information to be entered by the candidate.
- After finishing one section, look through the details entered and proceed to the NEXT level.
- After successfully entering details in the application form in all the SIX steps, quote why you’re interested in this fellowship program and why you should be selected.
- SUBMIT the form.
- Soon after form submission, candidates shall receive a link in their email for a one-hour ONLINE test named AMCAT. The point of focus in AMCAT is assessing the candidates for their decision-making, thinking, and English language skills.
- The ONLINE test should be attempted and submitted within four days of receiving it.
List of Documents Required
The following documents must be presented during the reviewing process of selected candidates post-application form selection.
- Degree certificate
- ID Proof of the candidate
- Reports/ transcripts completed as part of the degree program.
Selection for this fellowship involves a highly specialised 3-round intensive scrutiny procedure. The entire process consists of the following rounds:
- Application Form and Online Test – In the first step, candidates shall explain themselves and the many reasons why they should be selected for this fellowship program. A one-hour skill-based online test called AMCAT shall follow the application process. Based on your test performance, you’d be called in for the next round of selection.
- Telephonic Interview – The second round of the fellowship selection process involves a 30-minute telephonic interview call by a fellowship team member. Assessment of the candidate based on his application and test performance shall give way to further evaluation in terms of telephonic interaction.
- Personality Test – Those candidates who perform impressively in the online test and the telephonic rounds shall further move up the ladder for a personal interview. Three activities are lined up for this particular round—a 5-minute demonstration of your teaching skills, group discussion with fellow candidates and a problem-solving exercise. Candidates with good outcomes in this final round shall be considered Cohorts and receive the fellowship.
Rewards and Benefits
All candidates selected as Cohorts of the Teach for India fellowship shall serve as full-time teachers. They obtain a golden opportunity to teach underprivileged children, mostly from low-income groups. Cohorts shall teach at schools that lack enough funds to support good schooling. Following are some of the fantastic rewards and benefits as part of this journey:
- Good teaching experience mainly related to classroom learning.
- Candidates obtain a highly rewarding experience interacting with various entities like heads of institutions, students of different age groups and parents from diverse educational backgrounds.
- This program is a backbone for inspiring youth to take a transformational path in education and leadership.
- The greatest reward of teaching children and imparting knowledge to them is priceless.
- Regarding monetary aspects, candidates receive INR 19,000 per month as a stipend. For those Cohorts who shift to cities other than their hometowns, additional HRA in the INR 5500 – INR 10,000 range shall be offered. Miscellaneous charges to support incentives for school supplies shall be provided, too!
Terms and Conditions
Following are the minimum terms and conditions to be developed for applying to the Teach for India fellowship:
- A minimum bachelor’s degree is required to apply for this fellowship.
- Ambitious and career-oriented professionals with extraordinary leadership skills and an innate interest in teaching can only apply.
- This fellowship is an intensive two-year-long program.
- Leadership skills, problem-solving abilities, and critical thinking capacities are necessary for joining this fellowship.
- Candidates with or without prior teaching experience may apply.
- Candidates must display high academic talent.
- Excellent communication skills and language proficiency in English are a must.
- Candidates should be willing to relocate if they cannot serve from their hometowns.
- Selected fellows shall teach students from class 2nd till class 10th.
- Selected fellows shall teach all vital school subjects like Maths, Science, Social Science and English.
- Candidates shall be placed in one of these cities: Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, or Bengaluru.
- Proficiency in regional languages is not necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Teach for India fellowship?
Answer: The Teach for India program is a two-year extended intensive fellowship allowing young professionals to teach children from low-income groups and exhibit leadership skills to transform the education system in our country.
2. Who founded the Teach for India fellowship program?
Answer: Shaheen Mistri founded the Teach for India fellowship program in 2008. The plan was implemented on similar lines to the Teach for America model.
3. What is the minimum educational requirement for applying to this fellowship?
Answer: Graduation in any stream or a minimum bachelor’s degree is required to apply for this fellowship.
4. What are some metrics on which candidates shall be assessed for selection?
Answer: Candidates shall be assessed based on critical thinking, academic merit records, proficiency in English language and soft skills, problem-solving abilities and exceptional leadership skills.
Address: Godrej One, 2nd Floor, Pirojshanagar, Eastern Express Highway, Vikhroli (East), Mumbai – 400079
Helpline Number: +91 22 25194283, +91 22 25194284,
Email: [email protected]