The full form of SPSC is Sikkim Public Service Commission. The state commission conducts the Civil Services Exam to recruit candidates for various vacant administrative positions. Candidates must satisfy the minimum eligibility conditions before applying for the exam.
This article gives detailed information about the SPSC 2024 notification, including exam date, eligibility criteria, application process, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result, etc.
Important Note: Candidates are advised to check SPSC 2024 Exam date on the official website.
Eligibility for SPSC Exam
All candidates are required to fulfil certain eligibility criteria that serve as minimum conditions to qualify for the examination. Candidates who do not satisfy these conditions may face rejection of application by the commission.
- Nationality: The candidate must be a citizen of India. Interstate candidate is welcome to apply for the exam, subject to particular conditions.
- Educational Qualification: The candidate must hold a bachelors degree from a recognised university. Candidates having a degree equivalent to graduation are also eligible to apply.
- Age Limit: The age of the candidate must be between 21 – 35 years as on January 01, 2021.
- Age Relaxation: Only those categories that belong to the reserved classes shall enjoy relaxation in age criteria.
- SC/ST candidates – 5 years in upper age limit.
- OBC candidates – 3 years in upper age limit.
- Number of Attempts: There is a limit on the number of attempts laid down by the commission
- General categories – Maximum 4 attempts allowed.
- OBC candidates – Maximum 7 attempts allowed.
- SC/ST candidates – No limit
SPSC 2024 Application Form
The application form for applying to Sikkim Civil Service shall be notified along with the notification on the official website. Candidates must send in their applications before the due date. Online mode is the only way to send the application. Follow these guidelines to fill out the application form:
- Visit the SPSC official website – spscskm.gov.in
- In the homepage on the left-hand panel, click on “Apply online”.
- All candidates need to register with the website.
- Upon successful registration, candidates would receive login ID and password.
- Login to the website using these credentials.
- Enter basic information, contact details and other compulsory information in the application form.
- Candidates should upload their photograph and scanned signature in the appropriate format.
- Pay the requisite application fees.
- Check for correctness of entered data.
- Submit the form.
- After successful submission, save the form and take a print out for future references.
Candidates should pay the requisite application fee in the ONLINE mode only. Any other mode of fee payment shall be duly rejected by the commission. ONLINE PAYMENT can be made via internet banking facilities/ debit card/ credit card. The application fee is specified as INR 150 by the state commission.
SPSC Exam Pattern
SPSC conducts the exam in three phases – prelims, mains and interview. Candidates should have a thorough understanding of the exam pattern to emerge successful in the exam.
Prelims Exam Pattern
- This part of the exam is of objective type.
- It is only a qualifying exam.
- Marks that are obtained in the prelims round provide an entry to the main round.
- Prelims exam consists of 2 papers, each for two hours and 200 marks respectively.
- Questions to appear in English only.
- Negative marking applicable for the wrong answer. Deduction of 1/3rd of marks wherever there is a wrong answer entry.
Mains Exam Pattern
- The mains exam consists of 3 papers, i.e. (General Awareness, General English & Optional Subject)
- Paper are descriptive by nature.
- Each paper carries 200 marks.
- Marks obtained in mains exam shall provide an entry for the candidate into the interview round.
- Mains marks are considered for the final calculation of marks.
Candidates who have successfully cleared both prelims and mains round above the cut off marks shall be called in for the interview round. The interview process carries a total of 50 marks. There is no minimum qualifying marks set for the interview round.
Candidates can refer to the list below to familiarize themselves with the most important topics asked in the exam. Using this list, candidates can prepare strategically for the examination. Below, we have provided the SPSC 2024 Syllabus details.
General Studies Paper-I
- Current affairs at local, national and international level.
- Indian history and freedom struggle movement.
- Indian geography and world geography.
- Physical, social, economic geography.
- Indian polity and constitution.
- Governance and bureaucracy,
- Indian political system and rural panchayat raj.
- Public policy development and five year plans.
- Rights, duties and impending issues.
- Social and economic development of India.
- Poverty and social welfare measures.
- Ecology, environment and bio diversity.
- General elements of science.
General Studies Paper-II
- Unseen passage and comprehension
- Communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Numerical ability
- Mental mathematics
- Logical ability and analytical reasoning.
- Decision making, data sufficiency and numerical word problems.
- Data interpretation.
Paper-I: General Awareness
- Current affairs
- English grammar and vocabulary.
- Comprehension and unseen passage.
- Essay writing.
- English language usage.
- Maths problems and numeric ability.
- General knowledge of Sikkim state.
- Essay writing.
- Important dates and events.
- Indian, history, culture, geography, economy and festivals.
Paper-II: General English
- Synonyms, antonyms.
- Idioms and phrases.
- Sentence completion.
- Paragraph and precise writing.
- Spellings and error spotting questions.
- Joining sentences with correct linking words.
In the personal interview round, the mental capability of the candidate is tested by a panel of experts. A comprehensive assessment of his intellectual, social, and critical thinking abilities shall be conducted. His personality traits, alertness, assimilation quotient and judgement capabilities shall also be considered.
SPSC 2024 Admit Card
All candidates should compulsorily carry their admit cards to the examination hall without fail. The Sikkim Civil Service releases admit cards to candidates separately for the prelims, mains and personality tests.
The document contains essential candidate information like name, registration number, address, exam venue, centre, address and other details. Candidates can download their admit cards from the official website. Follow these steps to download the SPSC 2024 Admit Card.
- Visit the official website of Sikkim PSC.
- Check the “Quick Links” section.
- Locate the link to download the admit card for SPSC 2021.
- Provide applicant Id and date of birth details.
- Upon validation, the admit card shall be displayed.
- Download, save and take a print out of the document
SPSC 2024 Cut Off
The Sikkim Civil Service Commission sets a minimum score for each exam round, called the cut-off marks. Candidates who score above the specified cut-off range shall be eligible for the next round of exams.
Cut-off marks are displayed on the official website a few days after the result announcement. Cut-off marks largely depend on the number of candidates who appeared for the exam, cut-off marks declared for last year’s exams, and the present exam’s toughness level.
SPSC 2024 Result
Results for SPSC 2024 will be available online. Results shall be published in three stages – after prelims, mains and interview rounds. The steps to check the result are given below:
- Visit official website of Sikkim PSC – spscskm.gov.in
- Enter login details and go to the homepage.
- Check if result link is activated.
- Enter application Id and date of birth details.
- Upon validation, the result sheet will appear on the system.
- Download the PDF document and verify the result against your individual Id.
SPSC 2024 Answer Key
The SPSC releases the preliminary answer key containing the solutions of the conducted exam. The link to download the preliminary answer key shall be published before the results. Candidates can download the document and assess their answers. This will help candidates find out their approximate score.
After receiving objections and sorting them out, the commission later publishes a final answer key on the official website. The answer keys depend on a lot of factors, like the number of candidates appearing for the exam, the stage of the exam, and the allotment of marks.
SPSC 2024 Vacancies
The Sikkim Civil Service conducts the exams for various posts. The number of vacancies for each job depends on the vacant post lists submitted to the commission by each department. By far, the common posts for which the state civil services do recruitment are given here:
- Scientific Officer
- Assistant Professor
- Health Workers in various departments
- General Duty Medical Officer
- Range Officer
- Cooperative Inspector
- Accounts department Clerk
- Drugs Inspector
- Village Accountant generals
- Gazette Probationary officers
- Ward Master
- Dental Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- Deputy Director
- Sub Inspector (Sikkim Police department)
- Assistant Engineer in Agriculture department
- Executive Civil Engineer
- Assistant Professor
- Fisheries department Extension Officer
How to Prepare for SPSC Exam?
- A minimum of 4 to 5 months’ preparation is mandatory.
- The general studies syllabus of the prelims overlaps with that of the mains; hence, preparation can go hand in hand. Do not skip any part of the syllabus.
- Along with preparation, revising whatever is learned from time to time is also essential and equally important.
- Refer to standard books and only pile up necessary material.
- Do group discussions and peer studies; it may help in the interview round.
- Stay ahead in current affairs and general knowledge; they form many questions.
- Familiarize yourself with the latest developments and government schemes of Sikkim state.
- Learn about the art, culture, languages, and literature of Sikkim.
Books for SPSC Preparation
- Indian Polity by Laxmikanth
- General knowledge series by Lucent and Arihant publications
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh.
- NCERT Textbooks
- India Yearbook.
- India and the world by Surendra Kumar
- History of the Modern world by Jain and Mathur.