The Indian Parliament passed the Right to Education (RTE) Act in 2009, emphasizing the need for free and compulsory education for all Indian children aged 6 to 14. This act establishes education as a fundamental right, ensuring free elementary education. It highlights the importance of providing education to people of all classes, regardless of their economic or social status.
This article provides a detailed overview of RTE, the official portal associated with RTE, current notifications across various states, eligibility criteria, admission and selection process.
Eligibility Criteria for RTE Admission 2024
The following section provides complete details about RTE eligibility criteria. Parents should abide by these rules and regulations before enrolling their candidates:
- Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply.
- Students in the age group of 6 to 14 are eligible to apply.
- Special reservations are provided for economically weaker sections under this policy, with almost 25% of seats exclusively reserved for them.
- Candidates must fulfil the state domicile criteria when applying from their respective states.
- The annual family income must be less than 3.5 lakhs.
How to Apply for RTE Admission?
All students should apply for RTE admission through their respective state RTE portals. There is no centralized system followed here. All candidates need to register and apply only through state portals. Candidates can visit the official site to access the online application form. The first step in the application process is candidate registration.
Step 1 – Registration Process
- The registration form requires details like name, birth date, contact details, etc.
- Enter the necessary educational qualifications.
- After the process of registration, candidates need to login with registered credentials. Enter your login ID and password.
Step 2 – Login Process
- Enter all details in the application form.
- Upload all documents that are requested.
- Check for the correctness of the entered data.
- Any false information provided shall be treated with proper action.
- Take a print copy of the submitted application form.
Documents Required for RTE Admission
The following documents must be submitted along with the RTE online application form. Failing to submit these documents shall render them incomplete and will not be considered for further processing.
- Income Certificate [for non-reserved categories]
- Caste Certificate [for candidates belonging to reserved categories]
- Proof of residence/domicile certificate
- Class 10th mark sheet OR age proof of student
- Print out of the submitted application form.
- Passport size photograph
- Mark sheets of the qualifying exam
List of State Wise RTE Admission Form 2024
- RTE Rajasthan – The Directorate of Elementary Education, Rajasthan, invites online applications from school students for the 2024-25 academic year.
- RTE Uttarakhand – The official application process is all set to begin by May 2024. Interested candidates must ensure they apply before the last date of application.
- RTE Uttar Pradesh – The state of UP conducts admission through RTE in four phases.
- RTE Tamil Nadu – Online applications will be accepted from interested candidates starting April 2024
- RTE Maharashtra – Online admission form will start from March 2024
- RTE Madhya Pradesh – The RTE department for MP state has announced availability for online applications starting April 2024.
- RTE Karnataka
- RTE Gujarat
- RTE Chhattisgarh
RTE Allotment Process
Based on the number of applications received in response to the online advertisement, the selection committee will conduct initial scrutiny to filter out applications. The names of selected applicants or nominations will be displayed on the official website. Candidates can check for their names in the list, and if found, they can proceed further for school admissions.
If the number of applications received exceeds the number of vacancies, the respective state education department will employ a lottery method to choose applicants for further rounds. The lists of selected candidates will be displayed on the official site.
All candidates whose names appear on the official site must report to the assigned school. When reporting to the school, candidates must bring the originals and attested photocopies of all required documents
FAQs on RTE Admission 2024
1. What is RTE?
RTE stands for the exclusive right of children to gain access to free and compulsory education.
2. What is RTE Act?
The Right to Education Act was passed by the Indian parliament in August 2009, making elementary education free and compulsory for children in the age group of 6 to 14.
4. What is RTE quota?
Around 25% of the quota is reserved for the poorer sections of society; this is termed as RTE quota.
5. What is RTE age limit?
Students in the age group of 6 to 14 can apply for RTE admission.
6. What is RTE reservation?
Standard reservation of 25% is mandatory under RTE act for the poorer sections of the economy.
7. What is the income limit for admission under RTE?
The annual income of parents should be less than 3.5 lakhs to apply for RTE admission.