The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) of India’s government presents the prestigious Ramanujan fellowship to commemorate the contributions of the great Shri. Ramanujan. This fellowship provides highly rewarding funds to highly revered scientists to pursue postdoctoral research as part of the fellowship award.
The main idea behind conceiving the Ramanujan fellowship was to bring back great scientific minds that left the country to pursue research abroad. Scientists and research enthusiasts currently pursuing their work abroad in science and technology but interested in returning and serving the country are the prominent persons called for in this fellowship.
Important Note: There is no specific timeline or last date to apply for the Ramanujan fellowship. It can be applied throughout the year.
Ramanujan Fellowship 2024
|Science and Engineering Research Board (Govt. of India)
|Throughout the year
Eligibility for Ramanujan Fellowship
- Indian citizens [scientists] who are currently staying abroad can apply.
- Foreign nationals interested in a career research in India can also apply.
- Interested candidates should be PhD holders in one of these subject areas – engineering/ medicine/ pure sciences or masters in high level science subjects.
- Previous work experience in the subject pursued is mandatory.
- Candidates must have outstanding knowledge of the subject of interest.
- They should have great credits in terms of publications of their work and presentation of papers in related research areas.
- Candidate must ideally be associated with any science and development organization in the country. The association could be on the basis of a contract/ temporary position or permanent position holder.
How to Apply for Ramanujan Fellowship?
- The general condition for applying to the Ramanujan fellowship is that candidates should be associated with any science and technology centre/ organization in India. This research center should be an establishment that supported the candidate under a qualified guide to pursue and complete his PhD research work.
- On the contrary, when candidates move to the application process, they should be ready with a nomination from another science and technology institute ready to sponsor and encourage the candidate to take on his research activity to higher levels.
- Candidates must seek nominations by consulting concerned personnel from institutions and obtain a letter indicating the same.
- The letter should be sent directly from the head of the institution or center where the candidate chooses to pursue his new research. This letter cum application should be forwarded to the SERB.
- The SERB has an internal selection committee that looks into every aspect of received applications and takes a decisive judgement on the selection of an applicant.
Rewards & Benefits
- A monthly grant amount of INR 1, 35,000 is provided. This grant amount includes HRA benefits too.
- Additional grant amount exclusively for research activities shall be provided at INR 7 lakhs per annum.
- INR 60,000 per annum is offered as additional overhead charges for fellows.
Terms and Conditions
- The fellowship grant received as part of this fellowship is taxable under the government of India rules.
- This fellowship is a high-level offer and is open to scientists/ engineers from all over the world.
- The host institution preferred by the candidate should present the candidate’s nomination to SERB in lieu of the application process to seek a fellowship.
- All existing and new concerns and even the most remote areas of science are part of the research subject areas of the Ramanujan fellowship.
- Fellows can collaborate closely with a science and technological organization in India. This organization should not be the parent institute where the candidate pursued his PhD from.
- This scholarship is only extendible up to 5 years.
- Candidates who receive an offer of a fellowship from SERB should report with an acceptance letter within six months of receiving intimation from authorities.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a Ramanujan fellow benefit from the fellowship grant as well as salary provided by the host institution?
Answer: No. This is not possible. Candidates should avail the Ramanujan scholarship grant alone.
2. If a candidate chooses to change his host institution in the middle of the grant, can it be done?
Answer: Yes, it is very much possible. If a candidate obtains permanent posting at the host institute, then he can change his host institute.
3. What is the number of international study tours that a fellow can participate in?
Answer: One international study tour per annum is allowed, subject to further scrutiny of the needs and requirements of the fellow.
4. What are the necessary documents needed for the continuation of fellowship every year?
Answer: Candidate’s expenditure certificate together with Utilisation certificate needs to be given every year owing to the automatic continuation of fellowship.
5. Can an Indian national working as a scientist in India apply for this fellowship?
Answer: No, this is not permissible. Only those candidates who are Indian citizens but are currently associated with a foreign place, but willing to return to India can apply.
Address: SERB, 5 and 5A, Lower Ground Floor, Vasant Square Mall, Sector B, Pocket 5, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi – 110 070
Helpline Number: +911140000398