Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS) is mainly to help the dependent children of ex-servicemen/ ex coast guard serving crew/ widows of these personnel etc. This scheme was launched to support technical and professional education, particularly amongst the wards of this group of people. Every year around 5500 wards are selected to avail this scholarship for the next academic year. The annual payment of the scholarship is envisaged to facilitate the accountability of the scholarship amount.
PM Scholarship 2024
|Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India
|Prime Minister Scholarship Scheme (PMSS)
|Last Date of Application
|October 31, 2024
Eligibility for PM Scholarship
Candidates must meet the minimum prescribed eligibility criteria to apply for Prime Minister Scholarship. Any candidate not qualifying with the minimum criteria shall be rejected outright without providing any further notice.
- Candidates who have secured a minimum of 60% in their 12th standard or diploma course or graduation can apply.
- Candidates who have secured admission to 1st year of a regular course can only apply.
- In the case of integrated courses, the candidate must be studying in the 2nd year of his course. In this case, the 1st year must be an academic course, and the following duration must be integrated into a professionally sought after course.
- Dependent wards of widows of ex-servicemen and ex-coast guard personnel can only apply.
- Civilian students or wards of Paramilitary personnel cannot apply.
Eligible Courses for PM Scholarship
Apart from the key eligibility conditions, the lists of courses that qualify for the PM Modi Scholarship are listed below. Candidates not pursuing these courses cannot apply for availing of these scholarships.
- B. Tech or B.E. course of 4 years (All streams)
- B. Arch course of 4 or 5 years
- Medical course of 4.5 years (MBBS, B.D.S., BAMS, BHMS, BSMS, BUMU, B.Sc, B. Pharma, BNYS, Bachelor of Occupational Therapy)
Management Courses (MBA, BBA, BBM, BCA, MCA, B. Plan)
- Other Professional Courses (B.Sc Agriculture, BFSc/B. Fisheries, BSc Horticulture, Coy Secretary, BSc, Bio-Tech, B.Ed., B.M.C., Hotel Management Degree, B.PE, BASLP, B.F.T., BSc Microbiology, B.Sc H.H.A., L.L.B., Bachelor of Elementary Education, B.F.A., BFD, B.A. L.L.B.)
How to Apply for PM Scholarship?
The reference portal for applying to PMSS is National Scholarship Portal (NSP). All applications should be made in the ONLINE mode only, and any application sent through offline means shall not be accepted. Candidates should note the step-wise PM Modi Scholarship application process explained below:
- Go to the official website of NSP – scholarships.gov.in
- Click on the ‘New Registration’ tab indicated in the right-hand corner at the portal’s top.
- The detailed guidelines for registration shall follow. Please read them carefully.
- Click on the continue button at the end of the portal.
- Provide basic registration details without any errors.
- Click on the register button.
- The applicant ID and password shall be sent on the candidate’s mobile number.
- Using the login credentials, just received a login to the website.
- Candidates will now receive OTP for further validation.
- Enter OTP at the required space and change your password.
- Fill in the application form. Enter the correct details.
- Scan all relevant documents and upload them in correct formats.
- Submit the application after verifying all fields.
List of Documents Required
Candidates should keep the scanned copy of documents ready after reading the guidelines for application. Before starting the application process, candidates should keep all documents in place. The list of documents required for the PM scholarship is listed below:
- Serving certificate to be obtained by the Housing operations office.
- In case of scholarship under state police official services, certificate of martyrdom by the respective state government.
- 12th standard mark sheets/ diploma mark sheets/ graduation mark sheets
- For categories A to F, PPO or discharge certificate
- Death certificate for martyrs/ deceased personnel
- Disability certificate for persons with disabilities
- Gallantry award certificate for recipients of gallantry awards
PM Scholarship Renewal Procedure
There is no fixed timeline for the renewal of applications. Between January and April, candidates are advised not to send renewal applications. However, a structured process has to be followed for the renewal process. Here is the list of guidelines for the renewal of the Prime Minister’s Scholarship Scheme:
- First payment of scholarships shall be made as soon as the list of selected students is prepared.
- From the next year onwards, candidates have to send a renewal application ONLINE.
- The process of renewal applications is similar to that of fresh applications.
- At least 50% marks in each semester or year need to be obtained to qualify for renewal of the scholarship.
- Candidates need to pass/ clear all their papers every semester/year in the 1st attempt only.
- The timeline for sending renewal applications stands one year after receiving results for the current year.
PM Scholarship Selection Process
The Ministry of Home Affairs is in charge of selecting students for the Prime Minister’s scholarship based on set parameters. The detailed selection procedure has been explained below in detail:
- Under category A, wards/widows of killed Central Armed Police Forces or killed Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference.
- Under category B, wards/widows of disabled Ex- Central Armed Police Forces or disabled Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference.
- Under category C, wards/widows of killed Central Armed Police Forces or killed Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference. Death of personnel could be caused during their service to the government of India.
- Under category D, wards/widows of disabled Ex- Central Armed Police Forces or disabled Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference. Disability of personnel could be caused during their service to the government of India.
- Under category E, wards/widows of Ex- Central Armed Police Forces or Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference, who has received Gallantry awards.
- Under category F, wards of Ex- Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference. This if for personnel below officer ranking only.
- Under category G, wards of serving Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles personnel will be given higher preference. This if for personnel below officer ranking only.
Rewards & Benefits
The PMSS is beneficial for candidates as it helps the wards and widows of martyred personnel to achieve higher education. Every year around 2000 candidates get benefits from these scholarships all over India. This scheme takes care to provide equal benefits to both boys and girls. Thus, it rules out discrimination of education on the grounds of gender. The specific rewards granted are:
- Girls receive a monthly grant of INR 3000.
- Boys receive a monthly grant of INR 2,500.
This amount is paid on an annual basis only. In the case of state police personnel, 500 additional scholarships are awarded to state police personnel martyred during Naxal or Terror attacks. Again, 250 scholarships are distributed equally amongst boys and girls.
- Only online applications are received for this scholarship.
- Only candidates studying in the 1st year of professional courses can apply for these scholarships.
- Professional/ degree courses that are accredited by AICTE/UGC/MEI etc. are approved for scholarships.
- MCA and MBA courses are not eligible for scholarships.
- PM scholarships are applicable for studies in India only.
- Candidates who are Indian citizens but willing to study abroad cannot apply.
- Scholarship is provided for candidates to pursue only a single course.
- Minimum 50% of marks are needed for the renewal of the scholarship.
- Wards of Paramilitary personnel cannot apply for these scholarships.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I have obtained entry into 1st year engineering through lateral entry; how can I avail of this scholarship?
Answer: PMSS is only open to candidates who have sought admission to 1st year through the regular entry. Lateral entry to courses is not included in providing scholarships.
2. What are the minimum qualification criteria for the renewal of applications?
Answer: At least 50% marks in the qualifying exam following the course of scholarship should be obtained for renewal.
3. Can wards of state police officials apply for the PM scholarship?
Answer: Yes, wards of state police officials can apply. The condition is that the police officials should have been martyred during Naxal or terror attacks. Around 500 scholarships are reserved under this category.
4. I am pursuing a Paramedical course in physiotherapy. Can I apply for the PMSS?
Answer: No. The scholarship is open for only these courses – BE/B. Tech/B. Arch/MBBS and BDS.
5. Can I send my final graduation certificate for the list of documents to be attached with the application?
Answer: Candidates should attach mark sheets of all semesters/ all years of their diploma or graduation course without fail.
For further assistance regarding PMSS, candidates have to note these contact details carefully:
Phone Number: 011-23063111 [Welfare and Rehabilitation Board]
E-mail: [email protected]