Essay on Patriotism: The feeling of love and pride for one’s nation is called patriotism. It is a bundle of sacrifices, faith, courage and display of bravery for one’s country. A patriot defends his nation and supports its leaders in the right sense. Displaying attachment with a pinch of nationalism for the country is a matter of national pride. It also deepens a sense of duty and willingness to serve the nation and protect its dignity under any circumstances.
Essay on Patriotism 500 Words in English
Below we have provided Patriotism Essay in English, written in easy and simple words for class 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 school students.
“Patriotism is the essential ingredient of nationhood”- GOPAL KRISHNA GANDHI.
Patriotism is a noble virtue. Almost every human has an inbuilt sense of patriotism deep within. It is a powerful sentiment that originates from a sense of belongingness. Patriotism refers to a person’s unconditional love towards his/her own country. It introduces attributes like loyalty, sincerity, courage, and devotion to the person. Someone who has all these qualities and who is ready to dedicate his entire life to his nation is known as a patriot. True patriots are hard to find.
They always put their country first and then think about their interests, and a nation needs patriots for its successful development. Moreover, patriotism is responsible for making a nation stronger. Our modern lifestyle is sophisticated and full of varying priorities. Often these are the reasons which create conflict within the masses. When our society is under some threat, we see people forget their differences and learn the importance of cooperation and unity. Patriotism brings people together in times of danger.
How to Become a Patriot?
Practical patriotism means not a mere sentiment or even emotion of love of the motherland but a passion to serve our fellow-countrymen ~ Swami Vivekananda.
True patriots are not just recognized by their brethren but by the citizens of other nations as well. You do not need to be an army or a police officer to be a patriot. Patriotism means owning up to the things you believe in. Some of the features of a patriot are being mentioned below:
- Love and reverence towards one’s nation are one of the defining features of a patriot.
- Patriots are observant of their duties towards their nation. They are efficient and productive in contributing to their country’s economical demands.
- He works hard for the development of his nation. A true patriot aims to promote the welfare of his country and its citizens.
- Kindness and generosity are in his blood. He abides by the law and is always courteous to his fellow beings.
- A patriot loves his community and sympathizes with the needs of society. He is always willing to serve and sacrifice for the people of his country.
- A true patriot rises above discrimination. He stands up against the wrong without considering caste, creed, religion, language, colour, or politics.
- He speaks up when his community indulges in corruption. He knows how to walk away from the crowd where abuse of power is common. He identifies the faults of his government.
- He is honest and lives up to the power of justice. Turning a blind eye to a defenseless person being assaulted is not the characteristic of a true patriot.
Patriotism vs Nationalism
We have come across both these terms in our everyday life, and people think they are the same. Some people say nationalism is an extreme form of patriotism. Whereas, others say patriotism is more rational than nationalism. However, there are some huge differences between the two words. Originally patriotism referred to the rights of “land” or “country” against the King. Being a patriot meant you are standing for your rights and are willing to go against your King’s tyrannical rules. Patriotism is the inspiration to defend your country against injustice and abuse.
On the other hand, nationalism is a kind of evil. It leads to wars and benefits the corrupt officials. In the name of patriotism, it fools people to believe in unreasonable acts (presenting them as honourable and acceptable). A patriot can tolerate criticism and make the best out of it by gaining knowledge. On the contrary, a nationalist is blinded by arrogance and can never accept any kind of criticism. He will take it as an insult. Patriots understand their country’s shortcomings and need for improvement. However, a nationalist thinks his country is superior to all other nations. While patriotism deals with uniting people with values and beliefs, nationalism gives importance to unity by culture and heritage.
Historical References of Patriotism
Patriotism is quite important for a nation’s freedom. Patriots who fight for their country live in our hearts even after their death. Sacrificing lives for the freedom of their land of birth makes them immortal. In our past, when the British used to rule India, there were so many freedom-fighters who devoted their lives to saving India. They selflessly fought against the intruders.
India has birthed some of the greatest patriots. Rani Lakshmibai, Maharana Pratap, Shivaji, Subhash Chandra Bose, Mahatma Gandhi, Bhagat Singh, Jawaharlal Nehru, and Maulana are few of the names who have our utmost respect till date. Their sacrifices have made them martyrs of our nation. Their names have been imprinted in the golden book of history.