IDAS full form is Indian Defence Accounts Service. IDAS can be termed one of the oldest government departments serving till date and fully operational in service. It is one of the Group A gazette services categorised under UPSC services.
Aspiring candidates willing to become an IDAS officer, have to clear the three rounds of the Civil Services Exam, namely the prelims, mains, and the interview. It is again purely based on merit, a number of vacancies for the post and preferences sought by the candidate.
This article provides information on the role and responsibilities, job profile, career prospect, training, perks and salary of IDAS officer. The eligibility conditions, exam pattern and syllabus remain the same as of the IAS exam.
Indian Defence Accounts Service (IDAS) – Roles & Responsibilities
- Defence dealings largely consist of the acquisition of artillery, weapons, mechanisms related to differentially graded weapon systems, etc. IT is not just about procurement and implementation of these skilled weapons in the homeland, but a lot of legal activities like licensing, warranty production, etc. are necessary and in-built elements.
- For all these and more processes, it needs skilled advisors at higher posts who know them to carry out every phase of the activity with much ease. That’s where IDAS officers fit in. They are programmed to envisage and envision the financial costs and list the budgeting portraits for every defence activity.
- Every country’s defence mechanism has its own set of protocols, timelines, goals, and objectives. When it comes to time setting, the aspect of the latest technology kicks in, in other words, mechanisms rooted for the transfer of technology mainly with domestic units and foreign establishments for modern and robust defence machinery is directly the task of IDAS officers.
- Building robust financial support systems at defence PSUs and ordnance factories.
- Other major activities include skill-building, payroll management, risk analysis, financial estimations, and calculating project overruns, etc.
Training offered to IDAS Officer
By nature, matters of defence are custom specific and specialised and intricate in nature. So the training required and given to IDAS officers too is very extensive and lengthy in nature. Here we present the various stages of the training in the correct flow. The whole training process takes place in a timeline of two years:
- The common foundation program with the combined all India services is given to candidates at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (Mussoorie). This is the basic level of training at the first stage, following which candidates will be elevated to further high level training modules. The common training module is for a duration of four months.
- After the foundation training, officers get elevated to the induction training program. The second level of specialised training program takes place at CENTRAD, New Delhi, for the candidates.
- The third level of training imparts financial education with a specialization in defence accounts at the National Institute of Financial Management (Faridabad). Probationers are directly placed at the professional training course at the institute to specialize specifically with defence accounts.
- The last wing of the training takes place at the National Defence Academy, Pune. There is a financial wing in the NDA premises called the financial management institute that will train the students and make them job ready for their further roles.
- After the last element of training, candidates have to clear the specified departmental exam to get appointed into the initial junior roles.
Postings Offered after Training
Various positions are offered to probationers after they clear the departmental exam and get inducted formally into the services. Some of the noteworthy postings are mentioned below:
- Soon after induction into the junior grade, officers are inducted as Assistant Controller of Defence Accounts.
- The controlling and officially the head of the IDAS is the Controller General of Defence Accounts. He holds a three-tier responsibility of leading the IDAS plus functions as an internal financial adviser. He is also nominated as the chief accounting officer, and he has to report to the three serving chiefs of Indian defence services, namely the army, navy and the air force services.
- They also hold various positions at miscellaneous government functionaries such as the Rashtrapati Bhavan office, passport offices across the country, cabinet secretariat offices, pay commissions, public sector unit heads, UPSC committees, etc.
- When deployed on international projects, they serve at the IMF, WTO, and ICAO, etc.
- High level specialised officers get to work at the famed RAW establishments, which are of international importance at the global level.
Grade & Salary of IDAS Officer
Depending on the ranking and the grade of the IDAS officer, the salary range can be anywhere between INR 20,000 to INR 80,000. Below we have provided Indian Defence Accounts Service Salary structure in detail.
|Pay Scales (INR)
|Designation in Field
|Junior Time Scale
|15600-39100 + Grade Pay 5400
|Assistant Controller of Defence Accounts
|Senior Time Scale
|15600-39100 + Grade Pay 6600
|Deputy Controller of Defence Accounts
|Junior Administrative Grade
|15600-39100 + Grade Pay 7600
|Joint Controller of Defence Accounts
|Senior Administrative Grade
|37400-67000 + Grade Pay 10000
|Controller of Defence Accounts
|Higher Administrative Grade
|67000 (annual increment @3%) – 79000
|Principal Controller of Defence Accounts Additional Controller General of Defence Accounts
Indian Defence Accounts Service – Career Prospects
The most important part of defence activities is distributed among the IDAS personnel. Right from managing financial operations to trading acquisitions and calling for procurement’s, sending tenders, handling production mechanisms, certifying and licensing, sending warranties, dealing with technology transfer with international players, and more, IDAS officers have the most dynamic career compared to any other group A cadre services. Some of the pivotal roles they hold during their tenure include:
- Assistant Controlling Officer of Defence Accounts – this position is acquired by the probationary officer right after his induction period. As obvious, this is the junior grade scale that he initially starts with and would generally be posted at cantonment available municipal towns.
- Deputy Controlling Officer of Defence Accounts – Almost for three-tier levels up after the junior grade, officers will work as deputy CDAs. The work locations are mainly concentrated in state capital cities.
- Coming to officers serving in senior roles in administration cadres, they would be serving at defence command headquarter areas. This step in their career would grant them the prestigious and fully-fledged role of a responsible CDA officer. Thus the officer rises to the controller of defence accounts position.
- For commercial operations like auditing and inspection processes, additional secretaries IDAS officers are required.
- Then we have the position of Joint Controlling Officer of Defence Accounts, which is again a senior grade role.