The full form of HPSC is Haryana Public Service Commission. HPSC conducts the Civil Services Exam to recruit prospective candidates for various administrative positions in the state government of Haryana. HCS exam is held every year on a National level for recruitment of candidates for Class I, II and III officers in different government departments of the state such as Administration, Police, Forest and Engineering.
This article gives detailed information about the HPSC 2024 notification, including exam date, eligibility criteria, application process, admit card, exam pattern, syllabus, result, etc. The official website of the state commission of Haryana is hpsc.gov.in.
Eligibility Criteria for HCS Exam
Candidates should carefully know these eligibility conditions before they apply to the HPSC 2024. Only those candidates who satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria shall be qualified to take the examination.
- Nationality: All Indian nationals who are citizens of India are eligible to take up the examination. Also, candidates from other states are permitted and encouraged to attempt the examination.
- Education Qualification: Graduates or students appearing for final year degree examination recognized by the government of India are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Age Limit: General age limit is 21 to 42 years. For the post of DSP, the age limit is 21 to 27 years.
- Age Relaxation:
- For SC/ST candidates, age relaxation for the upper limit is up to 45 years.
- For physically disabled candidates, an extension of ten years in the upper age limit shall be provided.
- For general category candidates, up to 5 years in the upper age limit is allowed.
- Number of Attempts: ‘ANY’ number of attempts in the specified age bracket shall be allowed by the state commission.
How to Apply for HPSC?
The commission will specify the exact dates between which the candidates are allowed to apply. Candidates are requested to apply only through the ONLINE mode. No other mode of application will be duly entertained. Also, candidates have to submit the application form and pay the requisite fee well before the deadline approaches. Below, we have provided the detailed step-by-step HPSC 2024 application form process.
- Visit the official website – hpsc.gov.in
- Candidates have to ‘Register’ themselves on the website with a valid login id and password.
- Go to the ‘ONLINE SECTION’ of the homepage and click on it.
- Click on ‘ APPLY ONLINE AND PRINT FILLED APPLICATION SECTION – 1’
- In the following window, choose the exam/post that you wish to apply.
- Fill in all the details asked in the application form and submit.
- Note down the reference number.
- Go back to the main menu of the apply online section and pay the requisite fee.
- After the fee payment process, your application shall be submitted successfully.
- Now you can go back to the main menu again and print the submitted form.
Fee payment can be made in two modes: Online mode – Through internet banking facilities/ debit card/credit card facilities. Offline mode – By personally visiting any SBI branch and paying fees. Obtain an acknowledgement for the same and enter the challan number in the application form. Application Fee for different categories of candidates:
|Category of Candidates
|Outstation Male candidates of General and Reserved categories
|Outstation Female candidates of General and Reserved categories
|Candidates belonging to Haryana state but reserved under SC / BC- ‘A’ / BC-‘B’ / ESM
|For Persons with Disabilities with at least 40% disability but belonging to the state of Haryana.
Important Note: The fee list indicated above may be subject to change at the discretion of the state commission. Candidates are requested to look for updates on the official website of the commission from time to time.
HPSC HCS Exam Pattern
The HPSC 2024 Exam Pattern is the three-tier procedure consisting of the Prelims, Mains, and Interview round.
Prelims Exam Pattern
- Prelims Exam consists of two papers – General Studies and Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) papers.
- Objective Type of papers.
- Each paper is conducted for a maximum of 100 marks.
- Paper duration is two hours each.
- Negative marking applicable. 1/4th of the marks will be deducted for every wrong answer selection.
- The total of both the papers will be taken, and if they are above the cut off marks, then candidates shall be called in for the next round.
Mains Exam Pattern
- HCS Mains Exam consists of five papers totally.
- Subjective Type of papers
- Total marks for the main exam is 600 marks.
- For Paper IV and V, candidates have the privilege to select the optional subject as per their choice, list provided by the commission.
|Two subjects to be selected from a list of 23 subjects as given below
- The personality test round is conducted for 75 marks.
- Candidates who have cleared the mains exam will be shortlisted for the interview round.
- The combined marks of mains exam plus interview totaling to 675 will be considered for the final list of shortlisted candidates.
HPSC Exam Syllabus
Below, we have provided the HCS exam syllabus for prelims and mains.
- Indian history, including the Indian national movement.
- Indian and world geographical studies.
- Indian politics, administrating and constitutional studies.
- Policy making and Indian economy.
- Current affairs.
- Important events at national and global levels
- Science and technology.
- General knowledge and questions based on Haryana’s socio-economic and political scenarios.
- General reasoning
- Logical reasoning and data interpretation
- Numerical ability
- Decision making
- Problem solving
- Detailed comprehension
- Precise writing
- Grammar and vocabulary
- Language usage in other forms
Paper to be written in Devanagari script only.
- Hindi essay and letter writing.
- Hindi grammar.
- Hindi vocabulary and important aspects of the language.
- Hindi language and its connection with Indian culture.
- Paragraph writing and precise writing.
- Translation into other languages etc.
How to Download HCS Exam Admit Card?
The admit card is an important document for the candidate as it contains all necessary information about the candidate. The name of the candidate, registration number, exam venue, timings and other information shall be included in the admit card. A candidate must carry the document to be allowed to take the examination. Also, candidates are advised to carry essential documents that support their eligibility to the exam hall. Below, we have provided a step-by-step process to download the HPSC 2024 admit card.
- Visit the official website – hpsc.gov.in
- In the online section, traverse to the ‘DOWNLOAD’ drop-down menu.
- Click on the download admit card.
- Enter your registration number and date of birth correctly.
- Upon system validation, the admit card will be displayed on the site.
- Download/print the admit card.
- Maintain a copy of the same for future references.
HPSC Cut off
The HPSC 2024 cut-off marks for prelims and main exams will vary yearly. The state commission decides, and the cut-off marks will be displayed on the official website along with the results. Cut-off marks depend on a number of factors: the number of candidates who applied, the number of candidates cleared, the toughness level of the paper, etc.
How to Check HPSC Result?
The HPSC 2024 result can be accessed from the official site by following the steps given below:
- Visit the official website – hpsc.gov.in.
- Look for ‘HPSC Result’ link and click on it.
- Another window asking for a candidate reference number, date of birth, and other details will be displayed.
- Upon entry of correct details, the results of the candidate will be displayed.
- Download the result card/ take a print copy/ save for future reference.
HPSC 2024 Vacancy
The exact number of positions against each post varies every year. The list of posts is given below for quick reference:
- Haryana Civil Service Officer in the Executive Cadre
- State Excise and Taxation
- Assistant Registrar Co-operative Societies
- Assistant Excise and Taxation
- District level Food and Supplies
- District level Food and Supplies Controller
- Block Development Officer and Panchayat Officer
- Traffic Management
- Assistant level Employment
How to Prepare for HPSC HCS?
- Put more focus on the state details of Haryana, like topography, history and culture, demographical information, important statistics, geographical distribution, resource allocation, politics, socioeconomic status, etc.
- Select your optional subjects wisely.
- Prepare good notes and reference material for studies.
- Take up coaching classes if necessary.
- Have a good hold on Haryana’s General Knowledge.
- Contemporary and burning issues form the core of general studies papers.
- Interviews assess candidates based on interpersonal and analytical skills.
Books for HPSC Exam Preparation
Candidates are however advised to refer more books for comprehensive reading:
- Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth.
- A brief history of modern India, book by Rajiv Ahir
- Physical and human geography by G C Leong
- Book on Indian economy by Ramesh Singh.
- Book on Ethics, integrity, and aptitude by G Subba Rao
- NCERT Textbooks