The Dalai Lama Fellowship follows a unique approach to to develop leaders capable of addressing global concerns. It’s not just a program built to ignite leadership skills within an individual; it certainly offers more than that. It follows a carefully studied and researched methodology to work on global value systems.
Fellows shall apply them to build a universal community rooted in deeper cultural well-being and emotional sustainability perspectives. Some of the working areas of the fellowship include bringing promising improvements in resource management, addressing environmental concerns around the globe, etc. Eliminating poverty, working on gender equality, and reducing bias has been one of the top priorities of this fellowship program.
Important Note: Fellows are advised to check the Dalai Lama Fellowship 2024 date on the official website.
Eligibility Criteria for Dalai Lama Fellowship 2024
The following conditions are cited as eligibility criteria for all interested applicants:
- Candidates should be aged between 20-35 years only.
- Candidates must demonstrate exceptional leadership skills.
- All interested applicants must have very good skills in the English language. They should possess good written and spoken language skills.
- This fellowship offers some of the best practices in contemplative learning and engages in deep thought-provoking discussions of the higher order. Candidates interested in such off-beat learning techniques should apply.
- Bringing about a social change in the selected fellows’ local habitats is this fellowship’s ultimate theme. The entire fellowship revolves around creating this change by overcoming barriers and pit stops that may be encountered, if any.
- The candidate must be able to conduct in-depth research about the approach towards building an effective community rehabilitation facility. At the grassroots level, the selected candidate should have worked closely with the community for at least a year. He should have garnered sufficient information and knowledge about the local community to bring social transformation to their lives.
- Apart from contributing to the social changes, selected fellows should be proactive and willing to take part in online learning sessions and participate in conducted calls with the greater team comprising the fellowship team.
- The Contemplative leadership assembly session shall be conducted around June every year. Attendance and participation in this session are mandatory. Fellows are required to report at the session without any objections.
How to Apply for Dalai Lama Fellowship?
The application process for this fellowship is unique and consists of 5 different parts. Below, we have provided the detailed step-by-step application process.
- The first step in the application process consists of personal details about the candidate and an overview of their educational background and his interests related to work areas. From this step, the candidate presents comprehensive knowledge about himself.
- In the second step of the application process, the candidate shall be written for his written skills through essay topics. The candidate’s writing style shall be assessed together with information presentation, ability to comprehend knowledge, present facts, and establish a connection between reader and writer. Other important parameters shall also be assessed.
- In the third part, the candidate needs to submit his complete resume. Along with bio-data details, working experiences, career growth and achievements, extracurricular engagements, and other profile details shall be discussed elaborately.
- In the fourth part, the candidate is expected to get a letter of recommendation from the university where the candidate studied/ any center of excellence associated with the candidate/ a person who has been a great influence upon the candidate or similar persons.
- The last stage of the application process comprises an application video to be uploaded by the candidate.
- Before commencing the application process, it is highly recommended to study through the various guidelines and requirements of the Dalai Lama fellowship committee. Upon understanding how an application is presented, the candidate can go ahead and apply relevant to the instructions given.
List of Documents Required
As part of the requirements, the following documents are to be provided:
- Recent passport size photographs
- Birth certificate of the candidate
- Educational mark sheets of the candidate – class 10th/12th/graduation/post-graduation etc
- Certificates pertaining to the educational background of candidate
- Disability certificate or medical certificate confirming any serious illness pertaining to the candidate
- Bonafide letter from the educational institution if the candidate is currently pursuing any course
- Domicile certificate
Dalai Lama Fellowship Selection Process
The selection process followed for inducting candidates to the Dalai Lama fellowship is more of an open process. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to the selection of candidates. The first criterion is processing the applications and verifying that candidates meet the eligibility criteria. Later, the essays written by the prospective candidates are screened to find out what their genuine and relevant interests are in acquiring this fellowship. Some of the aspects that act as pointers in selecting candidates are:
- Resolving candidates’ perspectives and matching them with the requirements of the Dalai Lama fellowship.
- Tracing the candidate’s preparedness to adapt to new practices is contemplated as part of this fellowship.
- The higher quotient of self-awareness and ability to connect with society in a broader sense.
- Being mindful and proactive in one’s efforts with a thought-provoking sense of achievement.
- Respect, care and greater contribution towards the community.
- Having a global attitude and approach towards life, building harmonious relationships and the spirit of upliftment towards each other.
Rewards and Benefits
The fellowship benefits offered as part of the Dalai Lama fellowship is in the form of a stipend. The structural break up of this offer consists of various parts:
- Fellowship coverage for one year.
- An amazing chance to absorb completely into the hands-on curriculum presented as part of the fellowship.
- Complete support to engage with the undertaking project. Candidates are supported for projects with a social cause attached with them plus allowing their personal growth with the growth of the project too.
- A unique chance for selected fellows to part of a two week long global leadership program. It’s an immensely curative and personality building cum transformation program and much sought after interaction with global dignitaries.
- This fellowship engagement is not restricted to a one-year tenure program alone. It could be a lifelong commitment too! Candidates can serve further apart from the fellowship too. They could lead from the front and help communities with their talent and skills learnt as part of this fellowship.
Terms and Conditions
The following conditions explain the various terms and conditions that are required for applying to this fellowship:
- The fellowship program is conducted at the University of Virginia’s Contemplative science center. All candidates are requested to adhere to program norms.
- All candidates have to go through the different levels of leadership practiced as part of this fellowship. They have a well structured leadership model, and candidates should abide by the conditions.
- The Head, Hearts and Hands curriculum is a knowledge trove for all learners. All fellows have to abide by the rules of this curriculum.
- Through the process of the year-long fellowship, fellows are expected to nurture positivity and higher thinking.
- The goal of this fellowship is not centered on individual growth and prosperity. Rather it offers a chance to candidates to serve humanity and work towards a common goal of developing harmonious relationships in the world.
- The program expects students to understand the functioning of current systems, yet find out unique and future oriented solutions for problems our way.
- The program seeks diverse fellows to take part and support each other as a team.
- It is mandatory for every fellow to attend the contemplative leadership summit program for duration of one week.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Contemplative leadership assembly?
Answer: All selected fellows are mandatorily required to attend the contemplative leadership assembly in the month of June in their year of induction. It is hereby noted that fellows themselves have to bear costs of travelling, boarding and lodging, food charges etc.
2. What is the minimum educational background required for applying to this fellowship?
Answer: Candidates could be pursuing any level of studies or even no studies. Aspiring young leaders are the mere requirement, and candidates who exhibit such dynamism are welcome to apply.
3. What are some of the project areas that fellows can choose to work on?
Answer: Candidates can choose to work in several areas that could fall in one of these sectors – healthcare, education and knowledge sharing, contemplative studies, social causes and solutions, environmental concerns, the study of diverse cultures.
4. What are some of the practices followed as part of the fellowship program?
Answer: Head, heart and hands curriculum, to begin with, is closely followed up with extensive reading opportunities, exercises of the mind, mandatory coaching sessions, group discussions etc.
Email: [email protected]
Helpline Number: +1 434.982.6057