The full form of BPSC is Bihar Public Service Commission. The BPSC was set up way back in 1949 by the constitution of India to recruit candidates for civil service posts for the Bihar government based on the order of merit of applied and selected candidates. Initially, the capital for the commission was operational from Ranchi but later shifted to Patna. The Bihar Civil Service Examination is a three-tier process, including the Prelims, Mains, and Interview.
This article gives detailed information about BPSC 70th notification 2024, including exam date, eligibility criteria, application process, exam pattern, syllabus, admit card, result, etc.
Important Note: Candidates are advised to check the BPSC 70th Exam date on the commission’s official website.
Eligibility Criteria for BPSC Exam
The candidate must check the eligibility conditions before applying for the 70th BPSC exam.
- Nationality: The candidate must be a citizen of India. There is no restriction regarding the domicile particulars of a candidate. Candidates from interstate are also eligible to apply for the exam.
- Education Qualification: The candidates must have a bachelor’s degree or graduate or equivalent in any discipline from a recognized university of India.
- Age Limit: The minimum age for a candidate is 22 years.
- Age Relaxation: There will be age relaxation follows according to the government’s rules
- General Category (Male) – 37 years
- General Category (Female) – 40 years
- BC/OBC – 40 years
- SC/ST – 42 years
- PWD – 50 years
- Number of Attempts: Different categories have been allotted a different number of attempts to take up the exam. The number of attempts is common for both males and females.
- General category – 6 Attempts
- OBC – 9 Attempts
- SC/ST – No Limit
For candidates aspiring for the Bihar Police Service, the metric of physical fitness is an extra eligibility criterion. This is dependent on the reservation and gender of the candidate. The table below summaries all the details:
|Chest (without expansion)
|5 Feet 5 inches
|5 Feet 2 inches
|Both Male and Female
|5 Feet 3 inches
BPSC 70th Application Form 2024
BPSC is conducting its 70th State Civil Service Exam in 2024. Before filling out the application form, applicants must keep all details ready to enter the right information. There are two modes of submitting the application form – Online and Offline.
Online Application Process
- Visit the BPSC official website – bpsc.bih.nic.in
- Click on the ‘Online Application Form’.
- Fill in all the relevant details with accuracy. Do not enter information that is not supported by documents or that which does not have any legal standing.
- Cross-check all the details twice.
- Enter fee details.
- Upload all relevant documents, scanned photograph and signature.
- After all, entries are correct, click on the submit button.
- Thus your information is recorded in the application form, and the same has been submitted to the committee.
- Please note down the reference number that you will get upon the successful submission of the form.
- The reference number is to be quoted for all future references.
Offline Application Process
- Download the application form and take a print copy of the same. Fill in all the relevant details manually. Attach all essential documents like photos, documents, etc. Along with this, fee paid receipt needs to be attached too.
- After keeping all documents ready for submission, it is highly advisable to retain a photocopy with the candidate for future references. You can send the hard copy of your application form with all attachments to the following address: Joint Secretary cum Examination Controller, Bihar Public Service Commission 15, Jawahar Lal Nehru Marg (Baily Road), Patna- 800001
The application fee for the BPSC 2024 exam is to be paid online only. To pay the requisite fee, kindly visit the official website of the commission. Select the method of payment. Payment can be made via debit card, credit card, internet banking, etc. After successfully paying the fee, you will get an acknowledgement for the same. Fee structure payable for different categories:
|Candidates belonging to SC/ST
|Persons with disabilities
|Permanent residents of Bihar (All categories)
BPSC Exam Pattern
The Bihar Civil Service Exam shall be conducted in three stages: the Prelims, Main and Personality Test. Candidates who emerge successful in all three stages will be given a merit ranking. There is a screening process at every level, and candidates who clear the previous phase will only be allowed to take the next exam level.
Prelims Exam Pattern
The prelims are conducted for a total of 150 marks. It is an objective type of exam. The preliminary exam is only for qualifying purpose. The marks obtained are not calculated in the final calculation of marks. Every multiple-choice question will have a choice of 5 options to choose from. The questions will be set both in English and Hindi. There is no negative marking scheme.
|No. of Questions
Mains Exam Pattern
Those candidates who acquire the minimum qualifying marks in prelims as decided by the authorities, they will be selected for the mains. The mains examination is conducted for 900 marks and is subjective in nature.
|General Hindi (Qualifying Paper)
|General Studies Paper I
|General Studies Paper II
Candidates who qualify in the mains examination is called for an interview round. The interview is conducted for 120 marks.
Below, we have provided the BPSC Prelims and Mains Syllabus in detail.
The following topics are significantly covered in the syllabus when it comes to the preliminary examination:
- General Knowledge
- National/International Current Affairs
- History of India and Bihar
- Geography of India and Bihar
- Rivers of Bihar
- India’s polity
- Indian economy
- Economy of Bihar post-Independence
- Indian Movements and Bihar’s Contribution
- General Hindi: Candidates should focus on writing good answers and summaries, grammar, writing essays, translation, and be perfect with the syntax part.
- General Studies-I: The focus is on history and past developments and modernization of the country. Special focus to be laid on Bihar’s progress and development in the last decade. Keep track of technological improvements that have improved the country and also the major contribution of Bihar to the country, current affairs, graphs, and statistical data based questions.
- General Studies-II: Focus on politics, economics, and geographical subjects of India and Bihar, science, and technology related questions.
BPSC 70th Admit Card 2024
Candidates can download admit cards from the official BPSC website. Candidates have to log in to the official website from time to time to check if their admit card is available for download. The admit card contains all necessary details about the candidate, like name, registration number, venue details, etc.
The candidate is advised to retain an additional photocopy of the admit card. The candidate must compulsorily carry the admit card to the examination hall without fail. Without the admit card, a student may be disqualified or not be allowed to take the examination.
- Visit official website of the commission – bpsc.bih.nic.in
- Click the section called ‘Subject’. In the subject menu, click the link which will allow you to download the admit card for BPSC Civil Services 2024.
- Login with accurate details. Enter correct captcha code if any.
- Once your admit card opens, make sure all details displayed is correct.
- In case of discrepancies, immediately bring it to the notice of authorities.
BPSC 2024 Cut Off
Every year, lakhs of students attempt the Bihar Civil Services Examination. The committee decides the cut-off percentage for the exam, depending on the number of vacancies and the number of candidates applied. The toughness of the exam is also a deciding factor. The cut-off percentage also varies for different categories. Below, we list the probable cut-offs that were formulated for the previous year.
|Female reserved category
BPSC 2024 Result
The results of every stage of the exam will be made available on the website from time to time. Kindly check the official website for updates. So you will get the results after prelims, mains and the final result after the interview. Here are the steps to view your marks and download your mark sheet:
- Visit the official website – bpsc.bih.nic.in
- On the left-hand side of the homepage, click on ‘Marks Sheet’.
- Under the name of exam, select the exam that you have applied for.
- Enter your correct registration number and date of birth details.
- Fetch your mark sheet to view your marks.
BPSC 70th Vacancy 2024
Every year, the government publishes different vacant posts for selection and recruitment. The exam is conducted in accordance with the number of vacancies.
|Number of Vacancies
|State Tax Assistant Commissioner
|District Planning Officer
|Block Panchayat Raj Officer
|Bihar Education Service
|Child Development Project Officer
|Financial Administrative Officer
|Deputy Superintendent of Police
How to Prepare for BPSC Exam?
Every exam requires good practice and preparation of its own kind. Here, we present a few valuable preparation tips to crack the Bihar Civil Services Exam.
- Stick to the prescribed syllabus in accordance with the good choice of standard prescribed books only.
- Make yourself familiar with the toughness of the exams, the kind of questions that can be anticipated, etc., from refereeing to the previous year’s question papers.
- Practice the habit of making notes.
- Reading at least two standard newspapers every day is a must.
- Practice comprehensive answer writing methods for mains.
- Practice through the mock test series is a value addition.
- Strategize your studies with the help of a good timetable.
- Support your answers with essential aids like diagrams, flow charts, and representative examples. Illustrations will also help.
- Do peer discussions and group studies to clear doubts, if any.
Books for BPSC Preparation
There are many books available to guide you through the fixed syllabus. Kindly ensure that you do not stack up a pile of books, which will leave you confused and not knowing what to do. Instead, stick to the prescribed syllabus and the respective set of standard books that will give you the best solution for a particular subject and topic.
- NCERT Books (Class 6th to 12th).
- Indian Polity by Shri. Lakshmikanth
- History of Modern India by Shri. Bipin Chandra
- Quantitative Aptitude series by R.S. Aggarwal
- Spectrum Modern History by Bipin Chandra
- Comprehensive Geography by Khullar
- Indian economy by Shankar Ganesh
- Lucent General Science
Salary of BPSC Officer
The BPSC exam is conducted for various administrative positions in the government of Bihar. The commission conducts a survey, and the various government departments send a proposal specifying the number of vacant posts in each department. Thus, the availability of posts directly depends on the number of vacancies available when conducting the exam. The pay scale and range for various posts are tabulated below:
|Name of the Post
|Approx. Salary range ( Gross pay scale per month)
|Sub Divisional Magistrate
|Rs. 61,472 to Rs. 71,968
|Rs 43,372 – Rs. 47,812
|Sub Inspector, Range Officer (Forest Department)
|Rs 43,372 – Rs. 47,812
|ASI, Sub Inspector, and Inspector rank officers
|Rs 42,456, Rs 49,772
|Assistant Superintendent- Jail
|Rs 35,472 – 39,876
|Deputy Superintendent of Police
|Rs 61,472 – Rs. 71,968
|Assistant Operators in Bihar Electricity Department